Mixed media collages and photo transfers are fun and quite simple to do .
Here are the basic steps to create your own master piece:
1) Cover a canvas panel with old newspaper and pieces of textured paper (or any other found objects such as tickets or stamps)
2) Add a thin layer of acrylic or watercolor paints. I like to paint the center with brighter colors and use darker colors toward the adges.
3) Next, Convert the photo of your choice (in this case, a picture of an alley in Chinatown in San Francisco) to black and white. pictures with greater contrast are likely to work better as they tend to stand out off the background.
4) Print out a mirror version of your image into a standard printer paper.
5) Spread a nice amount of mod podge on your image and press it face down into the canvas over the collage (make sure the collage is already dry).
6) Wait until the mod podge is completely dry (this may take a few hours). Rub your transfer with wet fingers and gently remove the excess paper to reveal the transfer. If you are using a photocopy instead of inkjet printout you will need to repeat this step a few times until all the paper is completely removed.
7) Preserve your work of art with a protective finish such as “preserve it!” by Krylon.
Image and photo transfers, texture layering, mixed media, hand painted photos and much more.
Switch to our mobile site